Zune is a popular name in the MP3 player market today. Different models of Zune have been released. You can store pictures, play music and watch movies using this player. However, you cannot use it as an external hard drive like other players right after taking it out from the box. But the good news is that it is possible to use it as an external hard disk by using some simple steps.
All you need to do is edit your registry so that Zune can work as a hard drive. You need to complete the following steps in order to edit your registry.
- First of all, you need to create a restore point. If you want to do it in Windows XP, you need to go to Accessories from All Programs and then click on the System Restore menu. For Windows 7 you need to select the System Tools.
- You should close any software in your Zune player and disconnect it from the computer.
- For editing your registry you need to press the start button and click on Run. Then type ‘regedit’. Once the Registry Editor window opens you should navigate to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Enum\USBB\’. When you right click on the USB folder, you need to select ‘Find’. You will find the value of EnableLegacySuppor and you should choose a value between 0 and 1.
- You should then open ‘PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell’ and change the value from 1 to 0.
- You should open ‘ShowinShell’ and change the value from 0 to 1. You are done now. You can exit your Registry folder and start using it as a hard disk.
If you are not using your Zune player to play music or watch movies, you can utilize it as an external hard disk instead of keeping it idle. If you follow the steps just mentioned, you will be able to use your Zune player as an external hard disk without any trouble. Many people cannot follow these steps properly and so lose their files in doing so. It can also result in system malfunction.
So, before you edit your registry, make sure that you have backups of all your files. You must remember that it’s necessary to run your Zune software every time you use the device as an external hard disk. Otherwise, you might get an error message. Just follow the steps mentioned and you will be able to use your Zune player for multiple purposes.